Family photo

Family photo
These are my people

Monday, May 2, 2011

Wig Shop part 2

My new bffs work at Parker's Serenity Wig SPA...so it's a spa not a shop. If you ever wanna jazz up your look and spend some money doing it...you gotta go to the spa. Or, you could come over and borrow one of my wigs for free- do a little "test drive" before making a big purchase.

I went to Parker's with Lucy and my mom. The ladies were very nice and helpful- they let me try on all kinds of wigs. Their selection of wigs is heavy on the synthetic hair- not a lot of human hair options. I wasn't really even offered a human hair option- I had to ask for them. As I am travelling along my jouhairney- I am learning so much. Apparently the way to go is NOT human hair. None of the ladies wear human hair. A girl I met on-line who has AA does not do human hair. Who knew?


all the single ladies

When you are going to the spa, you should make an appointment. If you have to drop in, go on Monday because they aren't as busy. When I got there, I looked around at all my choices. It was somewhat overwhelming- all the choices.  At least I knew I didn't want a grey wig- or a long one-or a blonde one. That narrowed down the choices somewhat. Something close to my natural color, something kinda messy...MESSY? they don't really make messy wigs. There are no wigs that even come close to my natural hair...in style i mean. What does that say about my style? hmmmmm. What else can I do? Something close to a way I used to wear my hair? This is what I chose:


after the "cut"
I was pretty excited with my new hair. It has nice hi-lights. The beauty of the wig is that you don't have to worry about your "roots" showing. HA. the irony of it all. I don't even have any roots anymore. OOHHH i am cracking myself UP.

So, the down side. Because there are down sides to every story. i mean, other than losing all my freakin' hair- the hardest part is that i can't really wear my bobby pin the way I like to wear it. The wig has a hump. It's like a hat made out of hair. So, if I want to pull the front of my hair over to the side and pin it- the hump could be more noticeble- OR worse, the wig could start slipping back and what's left of my hair will be sticking out. Too bad I still have that hairline- front and center. Here is me trying to wear the pin the way I like it:
the pin
Of course you can't really tell in this pic- but trust me, it just doesn't work. So, I have to leave a few bangs hanging down in front and put the pin a little behind them. Lame. Die to self...again.

Another thing I learned at the wig shop is that some wigs don't last very long. I was thinking that if I (or you) spend close to $300 for a wig, then it should last a while. Go ahead, guess how long a synthetic hair wig can last. You are probably way off. I'll tell you later. What happens is that some people are " harder" on wigs than others. My body heat, how I care for the wig (wash and condition), and whatever else is out there-dirt, sun, products-all impact how long a wig will last. I've had this wig for about a month. I wear it to work only- that's 3 full days of wear. It is already starting to act all weird. The hair is getting hard and a little piece is coming apart. There is the answer. Some women replace wigs every MONTH! I was told by sweet little Emily at the wig shop that the norm is for wigs to wear out in 3-6 MONTHS. That's right. I said months, not years. Hmmmm. What's a girl to do? Certainly would be cheaper to just go bald.

Here is a pic of my new favorite wig. I decided I wanted short for summer. If I have to wear a hair hat, at least it can be a little cooler than the first one I chose.

short n sassy



I have learned a few more things since I started writing this post. I met another woman on the AA social network site and she DOES wear human hair wigs. I'm going to meet with her tonight so I will let you know what I find out. In the meantime, check out freedom wigs...sounds right up my alley! cheers to freedom.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the bang problem, however think they are both really cool. I never imagined you with short hair and it's so great! I love the short n sassy look and it will be so nice for summer! Man, I wish we could be at your part this weekend. Can't wait to hear all about it, please take photos-that's your duty now as a blogger sharing your journey (couldn't figure out how you put hair into that word), hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the short n sassy! It's sooo You in a way that you never knew :) Looking forward to this weekend! Love that you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story! I love the wig - it is so cute! Here is another resource you may want to check out for wigs, scarves, etc. I used to share this with my patients when they experienced hair loss. http://www.tlcdirect.org

    Keep blogging about your jouhairney. Love you, Lynn =)

    ReplyDelete