Family photo

Family photo
These are my people

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Wig Shop....for real.

Some of the gals at the wig shop know me and Lucy by name now. I am now the proud owner of 3 wigs- 4 if you count the shocking pink wig I bought for halloween many years ago at Limbo. Just be ready the next time you see me- I may look completely different from the last time you saw me.

The first wig shop we visited was just plain creepy. It was small and CROWDED with wig adorned styrofoan mannequin heads. I wonder if there is a technical/official name for the little white ladies that wear the hair for display. I wonder if you go to a wig shop that sells wigs and hair pieces for ladies who are african american- if the little heads have darker "skin".

I tried on a few wigs at the creepy place and they were certain that I should have a wig made out of human hair. The cheapest one was $679.00. The human hair was nice and soft and pretty glamorous. I was told that human hair wigs are high maintenance. They must be washed and styled with products just like you would wash and style your real hair. They can be cut into any style you can dream up. But man- the pressure. If I paid $670.00 for some hair, it gets cut, and i don't like it- I can't just wait a week and let it grow out a little bit. I can keep cutting I guess.

 So, we did not walk out of the first wig shop with any new hair. Here are some pics from that experience:


mid length human hair


 As my friend Deanna pointed out when she saw the long hair pic, what's up with the lady stuck behind the trash can?
sassy long human hair











5 comments:

  1. I'm not really finished with this post. after i put in the pics- i couldn't figure out how to get the cursor back to the left. it stayed centered under the pic. i seriously need more blogging lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! It's fun seeing your work in progress! I really like the mid-length human hair wig! Very cute on you. I'm excited to see what (four) looks you went with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. please get a blond wig, then you will really look like Amy Poehler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look glamorous!

    There was a lady with alopecia areata at BlogHer'09 in Chicago at a health blogger session. I can't remember her name or the name of her blog since it was almost 2 years ago now, but I did a search, and I *think* it was this woman: http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?url=http://www.4women.com

    P.S. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to swing over to Austin during one of my TX road trips. In the meantime, hugs to you and your wonky immune systems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I missed this post. A crowded wig shop doesn't sound like a good experience. Wow I'd feel super pressured owning $700 hair too. Since I'm reading this past the fact the wigs you went with are great!

    If you need blogging help you can always give me a call. I know Leigh uses blogger too and since she's local could maybe be more help.

    ReplyDelete